- TV – 91% of UK adults view TV on the main set each week.
- Smartphones – Second screen activities are mostly carried out using smartphones, with over half of adults (51%) now owning these devices, almost double the proportion two years ago (27%).
- Tablet – Tablet ownership has more than doubled in the past year, rising from 11% of homes to 24%. The average household now owns more than three types of internet-enabled device, with one in five owning six or more.
- Media Multi-Tasking – 53% of UK adults are now media multi-tasking while watching TV on a weekly basis.
- Media Meshing (doing something else but related to what they are watching on TV) – 25% are regularly ‘media meshing’. Examples include talking on the phone (16%) or texting (17%) about what they are watching, using social networks (11%) or ‘apps’ to communicate directly with programs (3%). Younger people are most likely to use other media while watching TV (74%) with 44% media meshing.
- Media Stacking – 49% of people use their smartphones and tablets for completely unrelated activities while watching TV every week – such as surfing the net (36%), social networking (22%) or online shopping (16%).
United States of America
Nielsen Holdings, a leading global provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, reported similar findings:
- Nearly half of smartphone owners (46%) and tablet owners (43%) said they use their devices as second screens while watching TV every day.
- More than half of smartphone and tablet owners visited a social networking site while watching TV, and at least one-fifth spent time reading social media discussions about the program they were viewing.
- More tablet owners than smartphone owners used their second screens to interact with the show (13%) or to post about it (13%). Some multi-screen users even said they watched a program because of something they read in social media; about 15 percent of tablet users responded this way.
- 20 percent of tablet owners said they use their device to shop for what was being advertised on TV, providing advertisers another opportunity to connect with consumers.
As smartphone and tablet consumption increases and the use of mobile and web applications consequently increases, so too does the need to support customers in whatever way they decide to engage with your business. One of the biggest trends to engage with your customers is second screen or companion screen the use of an additional screen e.g. tablet, smartphone while watching television.
The Diffusion Intelligent Data Platform manages, optimizes, and integrates data among devices, systems, and applications. Push Technology pioneered and is the sole provider of real-time delta-data streaming™ technology that powers mission-critical business applications worldwide. Leading brands use Push Technology to fuel revenue growth, customer engagement, and business operations. The products, Diffusion® and Diffusion Cloud™, are available on-premise, in-the-cloud, or in a hybrid configuration, to fit the specific business and infrastructure requirements of the applications operating in today’s mobile obsessed, everything connected world. Learn how Push Technology can reduce infrastructure costs, and increase speed, efficiency, and reliability, of your web, mobile, and IoT application.